(Places Of Interest)
Being the principal center of the erstwhile Awadh province, Lucknow, situated on the banks of the river Gomti, is the capital of U.P. This 'nawabi city of east' is regarded as one of the finest city of India. Lucknow has been the home of a galaxy of luminaries of Hindi-Urdu literature and exponents of dance-music. Apart from this, the Lucknawi cuisine and fascinating "chikankari" or exquisite shadow work embroidery on fine muslin cloth, are renowned worldwide. While keeping pace with modern developments, still Lucknow has preserved its golden past and its sublime culture - the Luckhnawi Tehzib.
Shah Najaf Imambara
This white-domed structure derives its name from the town of Najaf, about 200 km south of Baghdad where the Imam Hazrat Ali is buried. It is situated on the right bank of the Gomti, In this mausoleum are buried the remains of Ghazi-ud-din Haider and his wives, including Mubarak Mahal, his European wife. The entrance leads to a beautiful garden. The silver tomb of Ghazi-ud-din Haider lies in the centre of the building and is flanked by the more imposing silver and gold tomb of Mubarak Mahal on one side, and another tomb on the other.
Near the Rumi Darwaza, this structure houses the tombs of Muhammad Ali Shah, its builder, and of his mother. Built between 1837 and 1842, it is also called the Chhota Imambara. It is approached through a fine garden. The Imambara has a white dome and numerous turrets and minarets. The walls of the mausoleum are decorated with verses in Arabic. Chandeliers, gilded mirrors, colorful stucco, the King's throne and ornate tazia or replicas of the tombs at Karbala adorn the interior.
The British Residency of Lucknow is a famous historical landmark of this place. It is now in ruins and has been declared a protected monument by the Archaeological Survey of India. The British Residency was the place that served as a refuge for approximately 3000 British inhabitants during the time of the uprising of 1857. Lucknow was center of all British activities during the siege and the Residency became the monopolistic center of the British for almost 90 days.